Fantastic! I made this for Easter and was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the recipe was, how beautiful it looked and how delicious it tasted! It was the perfect score on all three fronts. I was feeding a family of four and it worked out perfectly to double the strawberries and half the shortcake recipe. For the shortcakes, I was able to get 8 equal servings using a muffin tin which made for a very nice final presentation and also made for a good serving size. Would definitely make again. Also, the almond extract was the perfect compliment to the strawberries!
Classic Strawberry Shortcake
With juicy strawberries spooned over sweet and tender biscuits, old-fashioned strawberry shortcakes are the perfect springtime dessert. If the berries are very sweet, decrease the sugar to suit your taste. Drop the dough easily by using a lightly greased 1/3-cup dry measure.
- 2 (16-oz.) containers fresh strawberries, quartered
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut up
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and, if desired, almond extract. Cover berry mixture, and let stand 2 hours.
- 2. Beat whipping cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 2 Tbsp. sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- 3. Combine flour, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl; cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or two forks until crumbly.
- 4. Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop dough by lightly greased 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet. (Coat cup with vegetable cooking spray after each drop.)
- 5. Bake at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- 6. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon about 1/2 cup berry mixture onto each shortcake bottom; top each with a rounded Tbsp. chilled whipped cream, and cover with tops. Serve with remaining whipped cream. Garnish, if desired.
- Strawberry Jam Shortcakes: Prepare recipe as directed. Before topping shortcake bottoms with strawberry mixture, stir together 1/4 cup strawberry jam and 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint. Spread cut sides of bottom shortcake halves evenly with jam mixture. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note