- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin (or a combination of sirloin and pork)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 cup onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Quick Marinara Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, if desired
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 pound dried pasta, cooked according to package directions
How to Make It
Combine breadcrumbs and milk in a small bowl, and let soak 10 minutes. Combine ground sirloin, 1 tablespoon oregano, 1/2 cup grated cheese, and next 6 ingredients in another bowl. Stir in breadcrumb mixture, and form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
Fill a 12-inch skillet or wide saucepan 1/4 inch deep with olive oil, and heat over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, and cook about 7 minutes or until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Pour off fat from pan; add wine to pan, and simmer 1 minute. Stir in Quick Marinara Sauce, remaining 1 tablespoon oregano, and red pepper flakes, if desired. Bring to a boil; add meatballs, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in basil.
Add drained cooked pasta, meatballs, and sauce to pot, and toss to combine. Serve with additional grated cheese.