Classic Southern Fried Chicken
Photo: Con Poulos
More From Food & Wine
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
- 1 teaspoon seasoned pepper, such as Lawry's
- 24 ounces solid vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
- Pat the chicken pieces dry and line a baking sheet with wax paper. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Add the chicken. In another bowl, whisk the flour with the seasoned salt and seasoned pepper. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour and transfer to the baking sheet.
- In a 12-inch, cast-iron skillet, heat the vegetable shortening to 365°. Add all of the chicken and fry over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until deeply golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted nearest the bone registers 170°, 20 to 24 minutes. Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note