I've made this recipe twice and agree with others who say this is more a lemon pie than a true buttermilk pie. I cut down on the lemon juice and zest on the second go-round. Also, I"m using a frozen pie crust and it takes 1 hour, 15 minutes to cook.
Classic Southern Buttermilk Pie
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 35 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon loosely packed lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Perfect Pastry Crust
- Garnishes: fresh berries, whipped cream, fresh mint
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk eggs and next 5 ingredients into flour mixture; pour into Perfect Pastry Crust.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until almost set, shielding edges with aluminum foil after 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and cool 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note