Use this recipe as my "go-to" for roast chicken as most of the ones I buy from Costco are in the 3-4# range. I use whatever fresh or dried herbs is most appealing at the moment, as well as the vegetables...last night I used quartered red potatoes, shallots and onions in olive oil, but have used squash, sweet potatoes, whatever I have on hand. I don't always bother with the gravy, usually just add a little chicken stock to the roasting pan and scrape up the brown bits for a nice au jus. If you have had problems with roasting a bird in the past and not being sure if it was done, this 2 temp method is one of the best ways I know of to cook a bird!
Classic Roast Chicken with Gravy
Be sure the butter is softened so it combines thoroughly with the herbs.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces meat and about 1/4 cup gravy)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 287
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 37g
- Carbohydrate: 4.4g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 721mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 4 stalks celery, halved
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine butter and next 5 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl. Rub seasoning mixture under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place carrots, celery, and onion in a single layer in a roasting pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Using tongs or insulated rubber gloves, remove chicken from pan, tilting slightly to drain juices. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- To prepare gravy, place a zip-top plastic bag in a 2-cup glass measure. Pour wine into bag; add drippings from pan. Let stand 2 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into measuring cup, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Return vegetables to pan. Add wine mixture and broth to pan; cook 10 minutes over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove vegetables from pan using a slotted spoon; discard. Combine flour and water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk to form a slurry; add slurry and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 minute or until slightly thick.
- Remove skin from chicken; discard. Carve chicken, and serve with gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes