Really good. I have never roasted an entire chicken before so this was a good one to start with. I used rosemary instead of thyme, an onion instead of the shallots, and scattered cut up carrots and potatoes underneath the roasting rack. YUM! And really juicy. I cooked it for about 20 minutes longer than the recipe states (yes, I do have an oven thermometer) and it was only at 160, but the juices were clear and the leg was loose in the socket, so I figured it was done enough. I don't see a need to try any other recipe, except to change up the seasonings as needed. HIghly recommended.
Classic Roast Chicken
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr
Be prepared to turn on your vent: The high-heat finishing may generate some smoke.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half or 1 leg quarter)
More From Cooking Light
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 278
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 35.7g
- Carbohydrate: 0.9g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 563mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 (4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 shallots, peeled and halved
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Discard giblets and neck from chicken. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- 3. Combine butter and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl. Rub mixture under loosened skin, over flesh; rub over top of skin. Tie ends of legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack; place rack in roasting pan. Place shallots, thyme sprigs, and lemon in cavity of chicken.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450° (do not remove chicken); bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in meaty part of leg registers 165°. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin. Carve chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note