Classic Pot Roast with Winter Veggies
Why it's healthier Hearty, vitamin-rich winter veggies such as squash, parsnips and sweet potatoes make this dish extra-filling. Slow-cooking the beef brings out the tenderness and uses just a tablespoon of oil.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 pound(s) boneless beef bottom round roast
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 can(s) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 1/2 cup(s) onion coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried marjoram crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme crushed
- 2 clove(s) garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cup(s) winter squash peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 cup(s) parsnips peeled and cubed
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon(s) cold water
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- ONE - Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat lightly with salt and pepper. In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven, brown meat on all sides in hot oil for 5 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Drain off fat. Carefully pour broth over meat. Add wine, if using. Add onion, marjoram, thyme and garlic. Bake, covered, for 2 hours.
- TWO - Add vegetables. Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter; reserve cooking liquid in Dutch oven. Cover platter with foil to keep warm.
- THREE - For the gravy, strain juices into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat from juices; return 1-1/4 cups of the juices to Dutch oven. (Discard remaining juices.) In a small bowl stir together the cold water and cornstarch. Stir into juices in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until thickened. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Slice meat. Spoon some of the gravy over meat and vegetables. Pass remaining gravy.
- Nutrition Facts per serving: 212 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 75 mg chol., 307 mg sodium, 11 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 25 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat, 1 carb choice.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by AymelaCakes and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note