Classic Pink Peppermint Angel food Cake
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup crushed hard peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, almond extract, and red food coloring.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Fold in crushed peppermint .
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts