this was totally flavorless and terrible. i wasn't expecting authentic pad thai but this tasted like nothing. seriously, nothing. skip this one.
Classic Pad Thai
Photo: Marcus Nilsson; Styling: Tiziana Agnello
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 52.7g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 6 ounces uncooked flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced banana pepper
- 3 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts, divided
- 3 green onions, trimmed, crushed with flat side of a knife, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon small dried shrimp
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1. Prepare the noodles according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Combine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add banana pepper; set aside.
- 3. Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, lime juice, and next 3 ingredients (through fish sauce). Combine eggs and salt, stirring well.
- 5. Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Add pressed tofu; cook for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Pour in egg mixture; cook 45 seconds or until egg begins to set around chicken and tofu. Remove from pan; cut into large pieces.
- 6. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to wok; swirl to coat. Add 2 cups bean sprouts, green onions, and dried shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing until noodles are lightly browned. Add reserved egg mixture; toss to combine. Arrange remaining 2 cups bean sprouts on a platter; top with noodle mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with vinegar mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes