this was totally flavorless and terrible. i wasn't expecting authentic pad thai but this tasted like nothing. seriously, nothing. skip this one.
Classic Pad Thai
Photo: Marcus Nilsson; Styling: Tiziana Agnello
More From Cooking Light
Total: 35 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 52.7g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 640mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 6 ounces uncooked flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced banana pepper
- 3 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts, divided
- 3 green onions, trimmed, crushed with flat side of a knife, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon small dried shrimp
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1. Prepare the noodles according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Combine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add banana pepper; set aside.
- 3. Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- 4. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, lime juice, and next 3 ingredients (through fish sauce). Combine eggs and salt, stirring well.
- 5. Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Add pressed tofu; cook for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Pour in egg mixture; cook 45 seconds or until egg begins to set around chicken and tofu. Remove from pan; cut into large pieces.
- 6. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to wok; swirl to coat. Add 2 cups bean sprouts, green onions, and dried shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing until noodles are lightly browned. Add reserved egg mixture; toss to combine. Arrange remaining 2 cups bean sprouts on a platter; top with noodle mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with vinegar mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note