- 6 ounces uncooked flat rice noodles (pad Thai noodles)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons very thinly sliced banana pepper
- 3 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cut into thin strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts, divided
- 3 green onions, trimmed, crushed with flat side of a knife, and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon small dried shrimp
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- calories 432
- fat 19.1 g
- satfat 3.6 g
- monofat 8.3 g
- polyfat 6.1 g
- protein 14.3 g
- carbohydrate 52.7 g
- fiber 3.6 g
- cholesterol 110 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 640 mg
- calcium 80 mg
How to Make It
Prepare the noodles according to package directions; drain.
Combine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add banana pepper; set aside.
Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, lime juice, and next 3 ingredients (through fish sauce). Combine eggs and salt, stirring well.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Add pressed tofu; cook for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Pour in egg mixture; cook 45 seconds or until egg begins to set around chicken and tofu. Remove from pan; cut into large pieces.
Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to wok; swirl to coat. Add 2 cups bean sprouts, green onions, and dried shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing until noodles are lightly browned. Add reserved egg mixture; toss to combine. Arrange remaining 2 cups bean sprouts on a platter; top with noodle mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with vinegar mixture.