This is a great marinara. Easy to make with lots of flavors. I used it for pizza. High recommended.
Classic Marinara and Pizza Sauce
This homemade tomato sauce compensates for moderate sodium with vibrant taste. If you have an immersion blender, use it instead of the countertop blender to make a smooth sauce. Freeze leftovers to have on hand for pasta or pizza.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 57
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste with Italian herbs
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place garlic cloves and pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten pepper halves with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place the pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel pepper; chop pepper and garlic.
- 3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add basil and oregano; cook 1 minute. Stir in roasted pepper, roasted garlic, wine, tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place half of tomato mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining tomato mixture. Stir in parsley, vinegar, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note