Classic Ice Cream Angel Food Cake
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups frozen ice cream or sorbet, softened
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla, juice, and almond extract.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg white mixture; fold in. Repeat with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through the batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert the cake onto a plate.
- Cut the cake horizontally into 3 layers, then spread each layer with 1 cup of softened ice cream or sorbet. Reassemble the cake, then freeze it until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This