Based on the other reviews, I cubed my bread into much smaller pieces, and had no problem with 'dry' or 'crunchy'. This makes a good, basic holiday stuffing. Nice flavor, not overpowering. Will definitely keep the recipe on hand.
Classic Herbed Bread Dressing
Photo: Ellen Silverman; Styling: Toni Brogan
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 129
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 19.2g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 381mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 8 cups (3/4-inch-cubed) French bread baguette (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups Homemade Turkey Broth
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Place bread on a baking sheet; bake at 325° for 25 minutes, stirring once. Place bread in a large bowl; increase oven temperature to 375°.
- 3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and celery; cover. Cook 5 minutes. Uncover; cook 17 minutes or until tender. Stir in herbs. Add mushroom mixture, salt, and pepper to bread.
- 4. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; boil 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups. Cool to room temperature. Combine broth and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add to bread mixture, tossing to coat. Spoon bread mixture into a 3-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
- 5. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. Uncover dressing; brush with butter. Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables