Classic Fried Catfish
More From Southern Living
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 catfish fillets (about 3 3/4 pounds)
- Vegetable oil
- Combine first 4 ingredients and 2 teaspoons salt in a large shallow dish. Sprinkle catfish fillets evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating evenly.
- Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Fry fillets, in batches, 5 to 6 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Note: For a quick weeknight version, skip the deep fryer. Cook catfish in 2 tablespoons hot oil, per batch, in a nonstick skillet 5 minutes on each side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note