- 2 Smoked Ham Hocks or purchased smoked ham hocks
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups shelled fresh field peas (about 1 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
How to Make It
Bring hocks and 2 qt. water to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Meanwhile, sauté onion in hot drippings in a medium skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add peas and onion mixture to Dutch oven with ham hocks; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until peas are tender. Remove hocks; drain peas, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Remove and chop ham from hock bones; discard bones. Stir ham into peas, if desired.