Classic French Onion Soup
This 6-ingredient recipe for Classic French Onion Soup is a simple solution for a French favorite.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 14-1/2 oz. cans beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 thick slices French bread, toasted
- 1 cup GruyÃ¨re or Swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until lightly golden. Reduce heat; cook for 30 to 40 minutes until deep golden, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and salt. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Ladle soup into 4 oven-proof bowls; top each bowl with a toasted bread slice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil 4 inches from heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Classic French Onion Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews
- PUBLICATION: Gooseberry Patch
More Recipes for Soups/Stews