We felt this was way too sweet for our liking. I would expect it to be richer in taste.
Classic French Onion Soup
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Protein: 14.4g
- Carbohydrate: 42.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 779mg
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Calcium: 278mg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (about 3 large)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consommé
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded light Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat; add onion. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until dark brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine and apple juice; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Stir in broth and consommé; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Place 6 (2-cup) ovenproof bowls or soup crocks on a large baking sheet. Spoon soup into bowls. Top each bowl of soup with 2 slices toasted French bread, 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 teaspoon parsley. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or just until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews