- 8 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 pounds yellow onions, cut vertically into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut vertically into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (such as sauvignon blanc)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 teaspoon liquid aminos (such as Bragg)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces French bread, cut into 16 slices
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- calories 328
- fat 12 g
- satfat 4.8 g
- monofat 5.5 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 14 g
- carbohydrate 39 g
- fiber 6 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 641 mg
- calcium 294 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions; cover and cook 12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 teaspoons thyme; cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in brandy; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook 1 minute. Place onion mixture in a large bowl.
Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add celery, carrot, mushrooms, and bay leaf; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock, Worcestershire, and parsley. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Strain broth through a fine sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return broth to pan; add onion mixture, liquid aminos, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer; cook 15 minutes.
Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 1 minute or until tops are golden. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 broiler-safe soup crocks. Top each serving with 2 bread slices, toasted side down. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Working in batches if needed, place crocks on baking sheet, and broil 1 minute or until tops are golden and cheese bubbles. Garnish with remaining thyme.