- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced sweet onion (about 3 large)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 cups low-salt beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consommé
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded light Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- calories 275
- fat 5.6 g
- satfat 2.9 g
- protein 14.4 g
- carbohydrate 42.6 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 1.5 mg
- sodium 779 mg
- caloriesfromfat 18 %
- fiber 3.9 g
- calcium 278 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat; add onion. Cover and cook 30 minutes or until dark brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine and apple juice; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Stir in broth and consommé; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Arrange bread slices on a large baking sheet. Broil 1 minute on each side or until golden.
Place 6 (2-cup) ovenproof bowls or soup crocks on a large baking sheet. Spoon soup into bowls. Top each bowl of soup with 2 slices toasted French bread, 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 teaspoon parsley. Broil 2 to 3 minutes or just until cheese melts.