Classic Double Roast Chickens
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett Miller
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (4- to 5-lb.) whole chickens
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Stir together salt and pepper. If applicable, remove necks and giblets from chickens, and reserve for another use. Pat chickens dry.
- 2. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. salt mixture inside cavity of each chicken. Place 2 lemon halves and 1 rosemary sprig inside cavity of each chicken. Rub 1 1/2 tsp. olive oil into skin of each chicken. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture; rub into skin. Tuck chicken wings under, if desired. Lightly grease a wire rack in a 17- x 12-inch jelly-roll pan with cooking spray. Place chickens, breast sides up and facing in opposite directions (for even browning), on wire rack.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 180°. Cover and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This