Classic Cornbread Dressing
If you're short on time, use packaged cornbread mix (to yield about 5 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread) instead of making homemade cornbread below.
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 5 large kale leaves or spinach leaves, chopped
- 7 slices white bread, toasted and coarsely crumbled or cut into 1/2
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- Cook celery and onion in butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally. Add kale, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until kale wilts. Remove from heat.
- Coarsely crumble Cornbread into a large bowl. Add kale mixture; stir well. Add toasted breadcrumbs and next 6 ingredients. Stir in enough broth to moisten dry ingredients as desired. (For moist dressing, add the entire 3 cups broth.)
- Spoon dressing into a greased 13" x 9" x 2" pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 hour or until top begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This