This recipe goes with Cornbread Dressing with Smoked Bacon and Pecans
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 35 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 3 tablespoons warm bacon drippings, divided
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Place 1 Tbsp. melted butter and 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; heat in oven 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, sift together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together egg and both milks; whisk into cornmeal mixture just until combined. Whisk in remaining 3 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. drippings. Pour into hot skillet.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan, and serve. Or cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
- Recipe brought to the table by chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads