- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 3 tablespoons warm bacon drippings, divided
- 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup milk
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°. Place 1 Tbsp. melted butter and 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; heat in oven 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, sift together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together egg and both milks; whisk into cornmeal mixture just until combined. Whisk in remaining 3 Tbsp. butter and 2 Tbsp. drippings. Pour into hot skillet.
Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden brown and firm. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan, and serve. Or cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour).
Recipe brought to the table by chef Frank Stitt of Highlands Bar and Grill in Birmingham, Alabama.