I loved the flavor of this soup. Cooking bone-in chicken takes longer than the recipe states so I let some of the thighs simmer in the broth to finish cooking.
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup is just what the doctor ordered any time of year! Bone-in chicken fortifies commericial stock and adds meaty depth to this Classic Chicken Noodle Soup.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 30.6g
- Carbohydrate: 16.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 483mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skinned
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, flesh side down. Cook 10 minutes; turn thighs after 5 minutes. Cool; shred. Discard bones.
- 2. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Place herb sprigs and bay leaves on cheesecloth. Gather edges; tie securely. Add sachet to pan.
- 3. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes. Add chicken and stock. Cover; reduce heat. Cook 7 minutes.
- 4. Add noodles; cook 6 minutes or until al dente. Discard sachet. Stir in chopped parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- If you like peanut butter, try Peanut-Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 2, omitting carrot and celery and adding 1 cup thinly sliced leeks and 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger with onion; omit thyme and rosemary from sachet. Combine 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, and 1 (14.5-ounce) can drained diced tomatoes, stirring well. Add peanut butter mixture, 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), 2 cups water, 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato, and 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon chopped unsalted peanuts. Serves 6 Calories 336; Fat 15.2g (sat 2.5g); Sodium 519mg
- If you like hot peppers, try Spicy Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 3, omitting carrot and celery, omitting thyme and rosemary from sachet, and adding 3 cilantro sprigs and 2 halved habanero peppers to sachet. Stir in 2 cups water, 1 cup chopped red-skinned potatoes, 1 cup corn kernels, and 1 tablespoon ground cumin, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Garnish servings evenly with 1 cup chopped avocado, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, and 1 teaspoon grated lime rind. Serve with lime wedges. Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups) Calories 375; Fat 15.1g (sat 2.3g); Sodium 480mg
- If you like curry, try Curried Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 2, omitting celery, omitting thyme and rosemary from sachet, and adding 3 cilantro sprigs, 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, and 1 pierced serrano chile to sachet. Stir in 3 tablespoons Madras curry powder; sauté 20 seconds. Add 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), 1 cup water, and 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Combine 1/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek-style yogurt, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon grated lime rind, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice. Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups soup and 2 teaspoons yogurt mixture) Calories 302; Fat 13.6g (sat 5g); Sodium 402mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note