I loved the flavor of this soup. Cooking bone-in chicken takes longer than the recipe states so I let some of the thighs simmer in the broth to finish cooking.
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 302
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 30.6g
- Carbohydrate: 16.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 483mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bone-in chicken breast half, skinned
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked medium egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, flesh side down. Cook 10 minutes; turn thighs after 5 minutes. Cool; shred. Discard bones.
- 2. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan; sauté 10 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Place herb sprigs and bay leaves on cheesecloth. Gather edges; tie securely. Add sachet to pan.
- 3. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes. Add chicken and stock. Cover; reduce heat. Cook 7 minutes.
- 4. Add noodles; cook 6 minutes or until al dente. Discard sachet. Stir in chopped parsley, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- If you like peanut butter, try Peanut-Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 2, omitting carrot and celery and adding 1 cup thinly sliced leeks and 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger with onion; omit thyme and rosemary from sachet. Combine 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup water, and 1 (14.5-ounce) can drained diced tomatoes, stirring well. Add peanut butter mixture, 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), 2 cups water, 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potato, and 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 1 teaspoon chopped unsalted peanuts. Serves 6 Calories 336; Fat 15.2g (sat 2.5g); Sodium 519mg
- If you like hot peppers, try Spicy Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 3, omitting carrot and celery, omitting thyme and rosemary from sachet, and adding 3 cilantro sprigs and 2 halved habanero peppers to sachet. Stir in 2 cups water, 1 cup chopped red-skinned potatoes, 1 cup corn kernels, and 1 tablespoon ground cumin, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Garnish servings evenly with 1 cup chopped avocado, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, and 1 teaspoon grated lime rind. Serve with lime wedges. Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups) Calories 375; Fat 15.1g (sat 2.3g); Sodium 480mg
- If you like curry, try Curried Chicken Soup: Prepare Classic Chicken Noodle Soup through step 2, omitting celery, omitting thyme and rosemary from sachet, and adding 3 cilantro sprigs, 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, and 1 pierced serrano chile to sachet. Stir in 3 tablespoons Madras curry powder; sauté 20 seconds. Add 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), 1 cup water, and 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; discard sachet. Combine 1/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek-style yogurt, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro, 1/4 teaspoon grated lime rind, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice. Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups soup and 2 teaspoons yogurt mixture) Calories 302; Fat 13.6g (sat 5g); Sodium 402mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note