This recipe is on the back of the Tapioca box and I have been making it for YEARS! The recipe calls for Almond extract and it is excellent! On a scale of 1-10 it ranks an 11!
Classic Cherry Pie
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Lynn Miller
More From Allyou
Cool: 1 Hour
Amount per serving
- Calories: 474
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 79g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Sodium: 78mg
- 3 14.5-oz. cans pitted unsweetened sour cherries, drained (about 5 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 15-oz. box refrigerated pie crusts (containing 2 crusts)
- 1 large egg
- 1. In a bowl, mix cherries, 1 1/4 cups sugar, tapioca and vanilla. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place in lower third of oven.
- 2. Unroll one pie crust; transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Pour in filling. Unroll second crust and cut into 3/4-inch strips with a sharp knife. Place half of dough strips across pie, spacing evenly. Arrange remaining strips in opposite direction atop first, lifting strips and weaving to form a lattice. Press ends to edge of bottom crust; trim overhang. In a bowl, whisk egg with 1 tsp. water. Brush over crust; sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp. sugar. Place pie on baking sheet in oven and bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, about 1 hour.
- 3. Remove pie from baking sheet. Place on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts