Classic Cheese Fondue
Photo: Jeffery Cross; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 5.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 174mg
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 cup Grüner Veltliner or other dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss (emmenthal) cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Crusty French bread, cubed
- Bockwurst or other mild German sausages, browned and cut into bite-size lengths
- Asian pears, sliced into thin wedges
- 1. Rub garlic clove around the inside of a 1-qt. fondue pot; discard clove. Pour wine into pot; warm over medium heat on the stovetop until bubbles start to rise.
- 2. Mix Swiss and gruyère cheeses with flour and dry mustard in a bowl.
- 3. Add cheese mixture to wine, a handful at a time, stirring gently after each addition until melted and smooth. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg and pepper.
- 4. Set pot over its heat source, adjusting so fondue barely bubbles. Arrange French bread, sausages, and pears alongside.
- 5. Scrape bottom of pot occasionally to keep fondue from scorching as you spear and dip bread, sausages, and pears.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2 cup fondue.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This