- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 cup Grüner Veltliner or other dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss (emmenthal) cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyère cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Crusty French bread, cubed
- Bockwurst or other mild German sausages, browned and cut into bite-size lengths
- Asian pears, sliced into thin wedges
- calories 306
- caloriesfromfat 58 %
- protein 19 g
- fat 20 g
- satfat 12 g
- carbohydrate 5.1 g
- fiber 0.1 g
- sodium 174 mg
- cholesterol 65 mg
How to Make It
Rub garlic clove around the inside of a 1-qt. fondue pot; discard clove. Pour wine into pot; warm over medium heat on the stovetop until bubbles start to rise.
Mix Swiss and gruyère cheeses with flour and dry mustard in a bowl.
Add cheese mixture to wine, a handful at a time, stirring gently after each addition until melted and smooth. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg and pepper.
Set pot over its heat source, adjusting so fondue barely bubbles. Arrange French bread, sausages, and pears alongside.
Scrape bottom of pot occasionally to keep fondue from scorching as you spear and dip bread, sausages, and pears.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/2 cup fondue.