Classic Beef Stew
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 21.9g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 59mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 622mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 3 celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed (3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of beef; cook 4 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Remove beef from pan; set aside. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef; set aside.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 1 minute.
- 3. Add flour to broth, whisking until smooth; add to onion. Add beef and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until meat and potatoes are tender. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note