Used 4 cloves of garlic and it was plenty! The parsley was a great addition giving it a depth beyond basil. Definitely recommend!
Classic Basil Pesto
This recipe, originally published (in narrative form) in a 1959 issue of Sunset, was one of the first pesto recipes in the United States. Catering to modern tastes, we've reduced the 3/4 cup oil in the original to just more than 1/4 cup. The flavors remain true in this Italian dish. Prep Time: about 10 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 76
- Calories from fat: 78%
- Protein: 3.1g
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 2.3g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 278mg
- Cholesterol: 5.2mg
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 4 large or 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup shredded romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Put basil in a mortar with garlic, romano cheese, pine nuts, parsley, and salt. Pound until smooth, then add olive oil and mix until smooth. Or, whirl all ingredients in a blender.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tbsp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note