The reason I tried this recipe is because it didn't call for eggs. I used half whole milk and half carnation milk and half mozzarella cheese and half mild cheddar cheese and it came out great, not dry at all
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Whisk warm milk into the flour mixture to ensure a lump-free sauce. We also recommend shredding your own cheese for a creamier texture. We tested with Cracker Barrel Extra-Sharp Cheddar.
More From Southern Living
Total: 47 Minutes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-oz.) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1. WHISK FLOUR INTO BUTTER
- Preheat oven to 400°. Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- 2. WHISK IN WARM MILK
- Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. WHISK IN CHEESE
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and, if desired, red pepper until smooth; stir in pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note