Yes, this is delicious! Double it for a crowd. Use half milk, and half 1/2&1/2. Also, a teaspoon of dry mustard and touch of garlic powder for zip.
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Give up the box mix because making Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese from scratch is easier than you think. Shredding a block of cheese adds a little more prep time but the smooth and creamy results are worth it. For more tasty mac and cheese recipes, see our complete Macaroni and Cheese recipe collection.)
- 1 (8-oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Keep warm.
- 2. Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, black and red pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and cooked pasta.
- 3. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Kraft Sharp Cheddar Cheese. To lighten, 2% reduced-fat milk and reduced-fat cheese may be substituted.
- One-Pot Macaroni and Cheese: Prepare recipe as directed, stirring all grated Cheddar cheese into thickened milk mixture until melted. Add cooked pasta, and serve immediately. Prep: 10 min., Cook: 7 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note