Clams with Garlic Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 684
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Protein: 47g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 78g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 976mg
- Cholesterol: 124mg
- 2 heads garlic (about 6 oz. total)
- 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 dozen clams in shells (about 2 in. wide), suitable for steaming, scrubbed
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread
- 1. Place garlic on a flat surface. Press each head firmly to separate cloves. Discard root end and loose peels; do not peel cloves. Thread cloves, touching, onto thin metal skewers.
- 2. Lay skewers on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of very hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold hand over grill only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Turn as needed until garlic is soft when pressed and peels are charred, about 10 minutes.
- 3. When cool enough to touch, in 3 to 4 minutes, push garlic off skewers and squeeze cloves from peels; discard peels.
- 4. In a blender or food processor, whirl garlic, butter, wine, broth, and vinegar until pureed. Scrape into a 5- to 6-quart pan. Add clams; cover pan.
- 5. Bring to a boil over high heat (see notes) and cook until clams open, about 10 minutes. Ladle clams and broth into wide bowls. Serve with chunks of bread to dip into sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note