Clam Soup with Orzo and Meatballs
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lindsey Ellis Beatty
Yield: Makes 12 cups
More From Coastal Living
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen fully cooked cocktail-size meatballs
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 40 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Sauté onion and celery in butter and olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add wine and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in broth and meatballs. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Add orzo and clams; simmer 10 minutes or until orzo is tender and clams have opened. Discard any that do not. Stir in parsley, 1/4 cup cheese, and lemon juice.
- 3. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with additional cheese.
- Quick tip The next time you make meatballs, double the recipe and keep a batch on hand in the freezer. Or, to keep it simple, buy prepared frozen meatballs; try Farm Rich--the party size works well for soups.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This