Clam Soup for Tomoko
Notes: Regular mushrooms, including their stems, can be used in place of the shiitakes; mustard greens can be used instead of mizuna. Season to taste with soy sauce.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 189
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Protein: 13g
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 140mg
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- 1/4 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup short- or medium-grain white rice
- 1 onion (8 oz.), chopped
- 24 clams suitable for steaming (about 2 3/4 lb. total)
- 1/4 pound mizuna, coarse stems removed and leaves rinsed
- 1. Rinse and drain shiitakes. Trim off and discard stems. Thinly slice mushroom caps.
- 2. In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine mushrooms, broth, rice, onion, and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, scrub clams under cool running water. Discard any that do not close when touched.
- 4. Add clams to pan, turn heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer until clams open, about 10 minutes more.
- 5. Stir in mizuna, then ladle soup into wide bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews