I don't eat clams but I made this for a Xmas Eve family get together and everyone loved them.
- 2 (6-ounce) cans chopped clams in juice, undrained
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup beer, clam juice, or milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Malt vinegar
- Hot sauce
- Drain clams, reserving 1/2 cup clam juice. Whisk together 1/2 cup clam juice, eggs, and butter in a small bowl. Stir in beer.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in egg mixture. Stir in clams.
- Heat 2 inches vegetable oil in a Dutch oven to 360°. Scoop heaping tablespoons of fritter batter and slide them into the hot oil. (Dip the spoon or small scoop into the oil first to prevent the batter from sticking to the spoon.) Cook 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with malt vinegar and hot sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note