Clam and Corn Fritters
Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
- 1 pound fresh littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 poblano chile, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- Carefully open clam shells, and remove meat. Coarsely chop; drain.
- Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in corn and next 4 ingredients. Fold in clams.
- Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff peaks form; fold into clam mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a 4-quart Dutch oven; heat to 360°. Carefully drop batter by tablespoonfuls into oil; fry 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown, turning with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
- Note: You may substitute 1/4 cup drained, diced canned clams for fresh.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes