Citrus-and-Spice Churros with Mocha Sauce
Photo: Kate Mathis
"Churros are such a crowd pleaser," says Top Chef: Just Desserts winner Chris Hanmer about these Spanish-style ridged doughnuts. "Adults say, 'I can't have any more.' And then they have two more. And the kids will always say, 'Wow!' "
Yield: Makes 24 churros
More From Food & Wine
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup espresso beans
- 1/2 pound milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar, plus 1 cup for coating
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk just to a boil with the espresso beans. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Strain the milk into a measuring cup; you should have about 5 ounces.
- Wipe out the saucepan, return the milk to it and bring just to a simmer. Off the heat, stir in the chopped chocolate until melted. Whisk the sauce until smooth and transfer to a bowl. Keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the 1 teaspoon of sugar with the butter, salt and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Off the heat, add the flour all at once and stir until incorporated. Scrape the mixture into a bowl. Using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat in the eggs one at a time until smooth. Add the vanilla and citrus zests. Scrape the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch star tip.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup of sugar with the cinnamon and cardamom. In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 350°. Working carefully and quickly, pipe about eight 3-inch lengths of batter into the hot oil; use a knife to cut between the pieces. Fry over moderate heat, turning once, until golden and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift out the churros and let drain for 10 seconds, then transfer them to the spiced sugar and toss to coat. Transfer the churros to a platter and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter and spiced sugar. Serve the churros with the mocha sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This