Citrus-scented Port Flan
Notes: Prepare through step 6 at least 1 or up to 2 days ahead.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 468
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 7.5g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 62mg
- Cholesterol: 394mg
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 orange (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1 lemon (about 5 oz.)
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half (light cream)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup tawny port
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (optional)
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, tilt and shake 2/3 cup sugar often until it liquefies and turns amber, 3 to 5 minutes. At once, pour into a 10-inch pie pan (at least 6-cup capacity). Quickly tilt pan to spread syrup over bottom; it doesn't need to cover completely.
- 2. Rinse orange and lemon; with a vegetable peeler, pare off colored parts of orange and lemon peel in thin strips. In unwashed frying pan, mix peel and remaining 1 cup sugar, pressing peel with a wooden spoon to release oils.
- 3. Add milk and cream to citrus-sugar mixture. Set over medium-high heat and stir occasionally until steaming (do not boil). Cover pan and remove from heat; let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat egg yolks and port to blend. Pour hot milk mixture through a fine strainer into a 1-quart glass measure; discard peel. Gradually whisk milk mixture into egg yolk mixture until blended.
- 5. Set caramel-lined pie pan in a slightly larger baking pan about 2 inches deep. Pour custard mixture over caramel. Carefully transfer both pans to a 350° regular or convection oven. Pour about 1 inch boiling water into outer pan.
- 6. Bake until center of custard barely jiggles when pie pan is gently shaken, 40 to 45 minutes. Lift custard from hot water and chill until cold, about 1 1/2 hours; cover and chill at least 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- 7. Run a knife between flan and pan edge. Invert a large rimmed platter over flan; holding pan and platter tightly together, invert and let flan and syrup slip out. Lift off pan.
- 8. Cut flan into wedges and use a pie server to transfer to plates. Spoon syrup equally over portions; garnish with sliced strawberries, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note