Seasoning with a citrus-salt rub and stuffing the cavity with lemons and oranges imparts fresh flavor and citrus fragrance and keeps the turkey extra juicy.
Southern Living NOVEMBER 2013
1. Remove giblets and neck from turkey, and rinse turkey with cold water. Drain cavity well; pat dry. Rub 4 Tbsp. Citrus-Salt Rub into cavity. Rub skin with remaining rub. Cover and chill 18 to 24 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse turkey; drain cavity well, and pat dry. Toss together lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl; spoon mixture into cavity of turkey.
3. Tie ends of legs together with kitchen string; tuck wingtips under. Place turkey, breast side up, on a lightly greased roasting rack in a large roasting pan.
4. Whisk together orange juice and remaining 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. salt in a bowl; gradually whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil until blended. Brush half of orange juice mixture over turkey.
5. Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack 1 hour. Brush remaining orange juice mixture over turkey, and bake 45 more minutes. Pour 1 cup broth into pan; bake 45 minutes. Pour remaining 1 cup broth into pan; bake 45 more minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 165°. Remove from oven, reserving pan juices. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter; serve with pan juices and Lemon Aïoli.
Go to Full Version of