- 1 (14- to 16-lb.) whole fresh turkey
- Citrus-Salt Rub
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 small oranges, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Kitchen string
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Lemon Aïoli
How to Make It
Remove giblets and neck from turkey, and rinse turkey with cold water. Drain cavity well; pat dry. Rub 4 Tbsp. Citrus-Salt Rub into cavity. Rub skin with remaining rub. Cover and chill 18 to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°. Rinse turkey; drain cavity well, and pat dry. Toss together lemons, next 6 ingredients, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl; spoon mixture into cavity of turkey.
Tie ends of legs together with kitchen string; tuck wingtips under. Place turkey, breast side up, on a lightly greased roasting rack in a large roasting pan.
Whisk together orange juice and remaining 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. salt in a bowl; gradually whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil until blended. Brush half of orange juice mixture over turkey.
Bake at 350° on lowest oven rack 1 hour. Brush remaining orange juice mixture over turkey, and bake 45 more minutes. Pour 1 cup broth into pan; bake 45 minutes. Pour remaining 1 cup broth into pan; bake 45 more minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of thigh registers 165°. Remove from oven, reserving pan juices. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 30 minutes. Transfer to a platter; serve with pan juices and Lemon Aïoli.