Citrus Pickled Red Onion and Golden Beet Salad with Green Beans
Start this salad a day ahead since the beets need to marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Because it's easier to grate rind from whole fruit, grate 1/2 teaspoon orange rind before squeezing the fruit for juice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 88
- Calories from fat: 32%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 14.8g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Sodium: 336mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 1 pound golden beets
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion (about 2 large)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (about 4 oranges)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place beets in center of a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until beets are tender. Cool completely. Peel and cut each beet into 8 wedges. Combine beets, onion, orange juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add green beans. Cook 3 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain. Place beans in a large bowl.
- Drain beet mixture, reserving 2 tablespoons marinade. Add beet mixture to green beans, and toss gently. Combine reserved marinade, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, grated orange rind, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and minced garlic in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Pour marinade mixture over beet mixture; toss gently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note