Citrus Pastry Cream
Notes: If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill the cooked mixture. For the most vibrant color, use blood oranges or ruby grapefruit. Other citrus juices that work well include Cara Cara navel orange, Melogold, pummelo, tangelo, and navel or juice orange. Use peel from your fruit choice to flavor the pastry cream. Fill tarts with the pastry cream or, for a quick dessert, spread the cream thickly onto shortbread cookies.
Prep and cook time: about 20 minutes, plus at least 15 minutes to chill
This recipe goes with Citrus Tarts
More From Sunset
- Calories: 28
- Calories from fat: 6.4%
- Protein: 0.2g
- Fat: 1.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 8.9g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 0.5mg
- Cholesterol: 8.9mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon thinly shredded citrus peel (see notes)
- 1 1/3 cups citrus juice (see notes)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, mix sugar, cornstarch, peel, juice, and egg yolk. Stir over high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Nest pan in ice water and stir occasionally until cool, about 10 minutes. Or cover and chill until cold, about 2 hours. Stir before using.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note