I made this but with a few changes: added 1 more egg yolk, 2 T more of juice, and 2 T more of safflower oil. It was really quite good!
Citrus Chiffon Cake
Weighing the flour and sugar guarantees a billowy cake that's light and airy (and worthy of Cooking Light Test Kitchens' highest rating for taste).
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 158
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 149mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces granulated sugar (about 1 cup), divided
- 6 ounces sifted cake flour (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Combine baking powder, salt, 7 ounces sugar, and flour in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until mixture is well combined.
- Combine orange rind and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add rind mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 ounce sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into flour mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto plate. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note