- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces granulated sugar (about 1 cup), divided
- 6 ounces sifted cake flour (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 8 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- calories 158
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 5.3 g
- satfat 0.6 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 1.5 g
- protein 3.3 g
- carbohydrate 24.2 g
- fiber 0.3 g
- cholesterol 38 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 149 mg
- calcium 34 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 325°.
Combine baking powder, salt, 7 ounces sugar, and flour in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until mixture is well combined.
Combine orange rind and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add rind mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.
Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 ounce sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into flour mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto plate. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake.