The beauty of pomegranate seeds nestled against sectioned oranges and candied orange peel gives this creamy cheesecake grande dame status. Baking it in a water bath makes it extra creamy.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 8 Hours
- 4 navel oranges
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 large pomegranate, seeds removed
- Using a zester and working from top of orange to bottom, remove peel from oranges in long strips. Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Add orange peel; simmer 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and section zested oranges. Seal orange sections in a zip-top plastic bag, and refrigerate until ready to garnish cheesecake.
- Drain orange peel well. Toss with 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl. Place candied peel in a thin layer on wax paper to dry. Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and next 3 ingredients; stir well. Press mixture firmly on bottom and 2" up sides of a lightly greased 9" springform pan.
- Bake at 350° for 14 to 16 minutes; let cool. Wrap bottom and sides of pan in aluminum foil and place in a large roasting pan; set aside. (Wrapping the pan is insurance against leaks in case your pan is older and not 100% airtight.)
- Beat cream cheese at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar, beating just until blended. Add sour cream, beating just until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon rind and extracts.
- Pour batter into baked crust. Add hot water to roasting pan to a depth of 2". Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until edges are set and center is almost set. Carefully remove pan from water bath, and immediately run a knife around edge of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack; cover and chill 8 hours.
- To serve cheesecake, remove sides of springform pan. Place cheesecake on a serving platter. Arrange orange sections in concentric circles on top of cake. Pile pomegranate seeds in center of cheesecake. Decorate with candied orange peel.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note