- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10.5- or 11-ounce) jar fig preserves
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
How to Make It
Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Shape dough into a ball. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Roll dough to 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut and fit dough into nine lightly greased 3" tart pans, reserving dough scraps.
Combine preserves and remaining 4 ingredients; stir well. Spoon filling mixture into tart pans.
Roll dough scraps to 1/8" thickness; cut half of dough into 1/4" strips. Cut remaining half of dough with small cookie cutters.
Arrange strips of dough, lattice fashion, across tops of 4 tarts. Place shaped cutouts on tops of remaining tarts.
Place tarts on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool on a wire rack. Gently remove from pans.
Note: For fig preserves, we used Braswell's.