I followed the high altitude instructions. It rose, then fell in two, ring small pans. One pan was.a small gugelhupf, about four cup. It would have fit in a medium sized pan but not a really large bundt pan, not enough batter. They came out of the pans nicely and could use a drizzle of white glaze for decoration. Easy to stir together without a mixer. I liked that. Very strong on the nutmeg. I would cut down or even omit. Consistency was good. Better the next day. Reminder me of Cowboy Coffee cake out of an old BHG cookbook.
Cinnamon Streusel Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Passed down through generations, this coffee cake recipe has stood the test of time. Serve warm for breakfast or brunch.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 2.1g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 392mg
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- About 2/3 cups (1/3 lb.) melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, nutmeg, and 2/3 cup butter.
- 2. Transfer 1 packed cup of the sugar mixture to a small bowl. Add nuts and cinnamon, mixing well.
- 3. To the mixture in the large bowl, add egg, buttermilk, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well. Pour batter into a buttered 9-inch cheesecake pan with removable rim. Sprinkle cinnamon-nut mixture evenly over batter.
- 4. Bake in a 350° oven until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake begins to pull from pan sides, about 40 minutes (about 35 minutes in convection oven).
- 5. Cool on a rack at least 20 minutes. Remove pan rim. Serve warm or cool.
Note: At mile-high altitude, increase flour to 2 1/4 cups and reduce baking powder to 1 1/2 teaspoons; bake as directed, allowing about 55 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cinnamon Streusel Buttermilk Coffee Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch