- 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 to 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup warm milk (100° to 110°)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together 1/4 cup warm water, yeast, and 1/4 cup sugar; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine yeast mixture, 1 3/4 cups flour, milk, salt, egg, and shortening in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down, and cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and roll dough to a 15- x 9-inch rectangle. Spread with butter, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at a long edge. Cut dough into 1-inch slices. Arrange in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 to 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 17 minutes or until done. Stir together powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, and vanilla until blended, and drizzle over rolls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads