Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Leslie Byars Simpson
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup water
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 9 1/2 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Stir together potato flakes and 1 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes; stir.
- Combine yeast and 2 cups warm water in a 2-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine mashed potatoes, 4 cups flour, eggs, and next 3 ingredients in a 6-quart bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until blended. Gradually stir in remaining 5 1/2 to 6 cups flour until soft dough forms.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into an 18- x 15-inch rectangle. Spread each with half of butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 cup pecans, and, if desired, 1/4 cup raisins. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at a long edge. Cut each roll into 1-inch-thick slices. Arrange in 4 (13- x 9-inch) pans or 8 (8-inch) square pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°) free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden. Drizzle with Glaze.
- NOTE: Unbaked rolls may be frozen. To bake, remove from freezer, and thaw in refrigerator 8 hours. Bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note