The rich taste and texture of these homemade cinnamon rolls comes from the addition of mashed potatoes that you prepare from instant potato flakes as well as the sweet cream cheese frosting that’s drizzled on the warm rolls.
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 1 cup water
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
- 9 1/2 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Stir together potato flakes and 1 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes; stir.
- Combine yeast and 2 cups warm water in a 2-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine mashed potatoes, 4 cups flour, eggs, and next 3 ingredients in a 6-quart bowl. Stir in yeast mixture until blended. Gradually stir in remaining 5 1/2 to 6 cups flour until soft dough forms.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each portion on a lightly floured surface into an 18- x 15-inch rectangle. Spread each with half of butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 cup pecans, and, if desired, 1/4 cup raisins. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at a long edge. Cut each roll into 1-inch-thick slices. Arrange in 4 (13- x 9-inch) pans or 8 (8-inch) square pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°) free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden. Drizzle with Glaze.
- NOTE: Unbaked rolls may be frozen. To bake, remove from freezer, and thaw in refrigerator 8 hours. Bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note