Notes: Chefs at the Coastal Kitchen in Seattle, Washington, serve these chunky pancakes simply, with butter and maple syrup.
Yield: Makes 20 pancakes; 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 395
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 473mg
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- 1 1/4 cups hazelnuts (about 6 oz.)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Salad oil
- 1. Toast hazelnuts in a 10- by 15-inch baking pan in a 350° regular or convection oven until golden beneath skins, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour onto a clean linen towel. When nuts are cool enough to handle, rub in towel to remove loose skins. Whirl hazelnuts in a food processor until finely chopped, or finely chop with a knife; you should have 1 1/4 cups. Reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle over cooked pancakes.
- 2. In a bowl, mix all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, and butter until blended. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until evenly moistened, then gently stir in remaining 1 cup hazelnuts.
- 3. Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350°). When hot, coat lightly with oil and adjust heat to maintain temperature. Spoon batter in 1/3-cup portions onto griddle and cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, about 2 minutes; turn with a wide spatula and brown other sides, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Coat pan with more oil as necessary to cook remaining pancakes.
- 4. Serve pancakes as cooked or keep warm in a single layer on baking sheets in a 200° oven for up to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved hazelnuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch